Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Care Package Ideas for Homemade Goodies

Someone my husband and I love needed a little cheering up, so I decided to put together a care package of my homemade Classic Peanut Butter Cookies.

Care Package Ideas Homemade

I couldn't put a gift together without a homemade tag! I thought this little "Donut Be Sad" stamp was so adorable, and it makes me smile to see it every time. There's just something endearing about a smiling donut with a tear....Don't you think?

Donut Be Sad Gift Tag with Twinery Twine

How to Ship Cookies:

  • Try to bake your cookies within 24 hours of shipping.

  • Let cookies cool to room temperature before packaging.

  • Place cookies in an air-tight container.

  • Put waxed paper or parchment between each layer of cookies to keep them from sticking to each other. (I just recycled the parchment paper I baked the cookies on for this.)

  • If cookies don't completely fill the container, add shredded or crumpled waxed paper, parchment paper, or cupcake liners to fill the gap.

  • Place container in a shipping box with 2-3 inches of packing on all sides to keep cookies from breaking during shipment.

  • If shipping the next day, freeze your box of cookies overnight to ensure freshness longer. If you're shipping during the cold-weather months, that will help, too.

  • Mark the box FRAGILE.

  • It's best to send your cookies on Monday or Tuesday to ensure the cookies don't sit in a post office or warehouse over a weekend and start to get stale.

  • I recommend USPS Priority Mail (2-3 day delivery) as a fairly fast and economical shipping method. 

How to Ship Cookies Homemade

 Here are two guides for shipping other handmade treats:

Here's one last look at my care package before it goes into its shipping box and the freezer.  I just got this Caribbean blue twine from The Twinery this week, and it matched my tag so perfectly!

Mailing Cookies Homemade

Do you have any tips for shipping home-baked treats?



No comments:

Post a Comment


All contents Creative Commons licensed. Betsy Pruitt of Belly Feathers.

Please give credit to Betsy Pruitt of Belly Feathers and provide a link back to the page containing the content when you use ideas, text, and photos from this site. Thanks!

Full Disclosure: If you see a link to Amazon on this blog, it is probably a link through their affiliate program, meaning I would receive a teeny tiny commission on any sales from that link. Please know I only write about items that I think would interest my readers and never for commission on these items.